A few rules:
- Google does not keep past lists. Once you make an entry you should leave the entry on the list or else Google may list it again.
- Use domain: in-front of the entry to disavow the entire domain.
- Use a new line for each entry.
- Use a hashtag (#) in-front of a line to make a note. This will not be counted as an entry.
How to upload your Google Disavow List
The Google Disavow Tool is part of the Google Search Console. Once you are logged in to your console visit this URL:
- Go to the Google Disavow Tool Page
Next, Choose your domain (if you have more than one).
- Choose the red "Disavow Links" button.
- Choose the next "Disavow Links" button.
- Choose "Choose File" button.
- Navigate to the .txt file you created and select it.
This is an advanced feature and should only be used with caution. If used incorrectly, this feature can potentially harm your site`s performance in Google`s search results. We recommend that you only disavow backlinks if you believe that there are a considerable number of spammy, artificial, or low-quality links pointing to your site, and if you are confident that the links are causing issues for you.
- Google Search Console Warning
Then choose to "submit" it to Google.
You should receive an email from Google telling you the details of your disavow file and the next steps. Basically you wait until they submit it and you will not get a notification when the list has been reviewed.
Note: The submission is not instant. It could take several weeks to update.
** Google`s help article on creating a disavow list can be found here.